Upgrade Stops Booting Into GUI Mode

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 8 15:58:12 CET 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Tom Wesley wrote:

> Check /var/log/xorg... file for the reason xorg is failing.  It's probably
> a config file issue.  Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if that looks
> believable.

Tom,

   My apologies, I should have mentioned that I checked the logs. What I find
is a reference to a missing 'libmng.so.1'. When I google for that I learn
that it's a library for some graphic format called 'mng'. I've never heard
of that format, don't have any files with that format on any system here,
and cannot understand why it's being sought.

   I suppose that I can try to find the library, but it was not needed with
the previous versions of x.org or xfce so I suspect it's not really at the
heart of the issue. Of course, I may well be wrong.

Thanks,

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President