Upgrade Stops Booting Into GUI Mode

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 8 04:25:24 CET 2004

   Perhaps you gurus here can help me solve the last problem in upgrading my
fiancee's laptop: the machine will no longer boot into Slackware's run level
4 (the equivalent of Red Hat's run level 5): GUI multiuser. It tries, but
keeps falling back until it pauses, panting, at the "Starting X Session
Manager" boot line.

   The last things I upgraded were x.org (from -6.7.0 to -6.8.0) and xfce4
(from 4.0.5 to 4.0.6). With the prior versions of xorg and xfce4 (and after
upgrading the rest of the system from Slackware-9.1 to 10.0), there was no
problem with /etc/inittab set to run level 4.

   Now, however, it boots fine into run level 3 (the same, multiuser, CLI on
all distributions, AFAIK) and I can successfully invoke 'startxfce4'. This
suggests to me that perhaps the reference to kdm in the xfce-4.0.5 was
dropped in the upgrade to -4.0.6. Or, perhaps kdm took a his somehow.

   Has anyone any ideas on this? I really need to get this resolved so I can
get her laptop off my desk and get my own work done. Perhaps even cut the
grass before it starts raining again.

TIA,

Rich

--