xfce-mcs-manage memory leak?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue May 25 14:42:37 CEST 2004

Miro Hodak wrote:

>On Mon, 24 May 2004, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
>>ibrsvg used to have a memleak, but from what i can tell it's been
>>fixed.  i'm using version 2.7.0 now; i don't recall when i noticed the
>>leaks going away.  also, i believe librsvg can be built with different
>>backends - either libxml2 or libgsf.  i think.  it's possible that that
>>has something to do with it (i doubt either has a memleak of its own,
>>but it could be that librsvg is forgetting to free something when using
>>one of the backends but not the other).  then again, my librsvg-2.so is
>>linked to both libxml2 and libgsf, so perhaps i'm just confused.
>>

>>>If you want some svg backgorund images to test if you can reproduce this
>>>proble you can het them here:
>>>http://programmer-art.org/files/gentoo/Lila-backgrounds-0.2.tar.bz2
>>>

>>i'll take a look at it later today, when i go home.
>>
>>	-brian
>>
>Did you have a chance to try it yet?
>I upgraded to librsvg 2.6.5 the latest version available on Gentoo,
>but that did not help. Perhaps the fix happend at 2.7?

looks like i was wrong.  i still see the memleak.  clicking on and off a
smallish SVG icon in the file chooser progressively adds about 0.1MB to
xfce-mcs-manager each click.  clicking on and off xpm or png images
doesn't do that.  i'll have to look into it more and start bugging the
librsvg people again.  unfortunately, when i originally filed the bug,
they indignantly declared that there was no way they had a memleak, and
blamed it on libxml2.  then the libxml2 guy jumped in and said he has a
comprehensive suite of regression tests that get run before every
release, and there's no way he had a memleak.  *sigh*.  i hate
egotistical people.  i suppose it's also possible that the problem lies
in the gdk-pixbuf loader for SVG, so i'll poke around there as well.
fortunately, the loader comes with librsvg itself, so i won't have to go
bugging anyone else.

    -brian