bloated vs. lightweight WM's

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Tue May 25 04:29:29 CEST 2004

On FC2 using XFCE 4.0.5,

> I have only 54 total processes
> running and only 103 MB total of RAM being used; how
> is it possible that
> you have XFCE taking up 51 procs and 180 MB on its
> own?  Am I missing something?

I have gedit open, the CLAW, firefox, a gnome-terminal
and alsaplayer. On my 2.7 Ghz P4, 512 Megs RAM system,
I have 145 Megs of RAM used with 71 procs (apache, an
FTP server and a VNC viewer are up and running).

I assume those numbers he gave represent his system,
and not every system. But doing comparision on the
same system is how you measure. The numbers must be relative.