icons on desktop with xfce

Jakob Breivik Grimstveit jakob at grimstveit.no
Sun May 2 01:55:30 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 21:08, Erick wrote:

> one of the reasons why I use xfce is the lack of icons on the desktop.

When seldom (being forced by my employer) to use Windows, I configure
the task bar to contain a "desktop toolbar" which references to the
desktop, and thus popping up all and any icons, documents and shortcuts
available there.

I have no use for icons on the desktop (as others here have argued, it's
a flawed way of thinking, since the icons are more or less always
covered by the windows which we are working with), but by using this
"desktop toolbar" I always have a common place I can drop whatever I
want (and use), easily accessible via the (popup or not) taskbar.

If we could implement something like this, I feel we implement the best
of two worlds - having the ability to implement my own "personal
toolbar" (and perhaps a separate window that can pop up, with customized
placement of icons) and still not having to implement the «"silly"
desktop icons» way of thinking.

Just my 0.02 cents, hopefully at least some of you agree (desktop icons
just add bloat, IMHO).

--
Jakob Breivik Grimstveit, http://www.grimstveit.no/jakob, +47 48298152