can't stop xftaskbar from loading

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser at pmbenterprises.com
Sun May 2 01:25:37 CEST 2004

I'm really at a loss. I have worked enough with XFce4 on RH9, WBEL, MDK
9 and FC1 to make it work properly, but this one new install has me
baffled! I've also looked over the docs and XFce Website. Can't find
anything there that I haven't already tried.

The box is running RH 9 with all current updates. XFce is version 4.0.5
installed from RPM's for RH 9. Assorted plugins were also installed by
compiling from tar files, but none are activated in the panel as yet. I
am also using xfce-session manager taken from a repo that gave me the RH
9 RPM's.

Honestly, everything works fine except that I can't alter which XFce
modules load! Currently, I have both the taskbar and iconbox loading. I
have edited out the taskbar in every place I can think of it could be
in, and still the taskbar comes up!

On this system, I have calls to load the modules in:

/etc/xfce4/default.session
/etc/xfce4/xinitrc
/etc/xfce4/xinitrc.xfce4-session

I have tried:

'cp /etc/xfce4/xinitrc ~/.xfce/xinitrc'
'cp /etc/xfce4/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc'
'cp /etc/xfce4/xinitrc ~/.xsession'

None of these have worked, either.

I'm now wondering if the session-manager is causing this problem. This
is the first time that I have used it on RH 9, but have been using it on
FC 1 for some time without this problem.

Any ideas? I am about to 'rpm -e xfce4-taskbar'! ARGH!

Thanks,

Paul