icons on desktop with xfce

Wolf Lichtenberger wowowolf at web.de
Sat May 1 00:16:00 CEST 2004

Hi,

Miro Hodak wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Joanna Bialek wrote:
>>Icons in XFCE??
>>What for????????????????
>>
> I am also surprised by this. I thought that the lack of icons was
> intentional (which I liked), not just a missing feature.
>
> At least I hope, it will be implemented in modular fashion.

I found quite some use for the Macintosh way of document (*not* program)
launcher icons. You grouped them thematically or any way you liked.

But this IMHO doesn't have to be *on* the desktop: I'd be quite happy with xffm
windows, if they would show just the icons in a freely arrangeable fashion.

The big disadvantage of desktop icons IMO is their inaccessability while a
program window occupies most of the desktop - but then, that's the same problem
as with fancy backgrounds. I just switch to destop view (thanks to that panel
plugin) or to an unoccupied workspace to use the icons.

Just "a modest proposition"... 8^)

--
regards,
-- Wolf Lichtenberger