questions switching from xfce3 to xfce4

Thomas tkran2002 at yahoo.de
Sun Mar 14 23:14:59 CET 2004

Hi xfce folk,

This is the second time I changed from my old good working xfce3 to xfce4.
I switched backed to xfce3 because it does fit for my work (more keyboard not mouse related).
But now I think it's time to work with the new faster xfce4 based on gtk2.
So there some problems. I want a similiar configuration and behaviour I had
with xfce3. This means for me:

1. ALT-ESC for showing the window list

2. Binding my 4 mouse buttons + modifiers to specific functions
Missing documentation of all functions to configure and customize my xfwmrc and keythemerc

(I had done this with xfce3 xfwmrc and it works perfectly)
# Keyboard Control
Key XF86Forward AT N Desk +1
Key XF86Back AT N Desk -1
Key XF86Stop AT N Exec xfterm
Key XF86Refresh W N Stick
Key XF86Search AT N Exec kfind
Key XF86AudioMedia AT N Exec xmms -p
Key XF86AudioPlay AT N Exec xmms -t
Key XF86AudioStop AT N Exec xmms -s
Key XF86AudioNext AT N Exec xmms -f
Key XF86AudioPrev AT N Exec xmms -r
# Mouse 6 A N WindowList
Mouse 6 T C WindowList
Mouse 6 W C WindowList
Mouse 6 S C WindowList
Mouse 6 F C WindowList
Mouse 6 R N WindowList CurrentDesk
Mouse 6 A S  Next [CurrentDesk] __builtin_focus_raise__
Mouse 6 A M IconifyAll
Mouse 6 T N Iconify
Mouse 6 W N Iconify
Mouse 6 S N Iconify

Now I don't find the new function list to customize this. I like the way xfce3 makes a
individuell configuration possible. So I worked with xfce3 from the beginning.
It's an efficient lightweighted windowmanager but with xfce4 I have some trouble to work as fast as with xfce3.
If there is no solution/documentation for customization I would switch back to xfce3 again.

3. Clicking on the desktop with the left(!) mouse button should show me the menu not the right one.
I know that some modification doesn't agree with freedesktop specification.
Changing to left hand mouse user doesn't fit for me. I just want to configure this for my needs not for the world.

Is it possible to configure/customize xfce4 like xfce3 and where can I start to found informations for this ?
I have a four button marble fx trackball and a cherry multimedia keyboard. So there are more keys to
configure. My XF86Config and Xmodmap are correctly configured.

4. How can I take over my menu's and startbar programs with my customized icons to xfce4 not to configure all from the beginning ?

Hopefully I get some help for my issue. It is really hard to find more information
cause I'm not directly involved in the development.

thanks for any help,
Thomas