2 questions

Jack Kern jack_kern at operamail.com
Fri Mar 12 16:43:31 CET 2004

Joseph Oaks wrote:

>Well fiddle sticks, that didn't work. I added the following lines to the
>/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/XFce4 file...
>  if [ -f " $HOME/.bash_profile " ] ; then
>   source $HOME/.bash_profile ;
>  fi

Your command is incorrect:

if [ -f " $HOME/.bash_profile " ] ; then

The quoted test argument includes spaces between the quotes.  Removed them an it will work

e.g.,  [ -f "$HOME/.bash_profile" ]

The trailing ";" is only necessary in the command is on one line:

   source $HOME/.bash_profile ;

if [ -f " $HOME/.bash_profile " ] ; then

The quoted test argument includes spaces between the quotes.  Removed them an it will work

e.g.,  [ -f "$HOME/.bash_profile" ]

Here the trailing ";" is only necessary if the command is on one line:

   source $HOME/.bash_profile ;