2 questions

Jack Kern jack_kern at operamail.com
Fri Mar 12 15:15:51 CET 2004

Joseph Oaks wrote:

>First, been using XFCE for about a week and a half now, I love it :)
>
>System is a Redhat 9.0 that was installed with Gnome. I installed XFCE
>from RPM's and all is fine. Well sort of :/
>
>Question 1: How do I get XFCE to access my .bash_profile, under gnome it
>            does this just fine however everytime I start in XFCE it
>            will not access for a lace of better terms the .bash_profile
>            What have I done wrong?
>
>Question 2: How can I get the gnome menu to work on the XFCE right click
>            of the mouse on the desktop? Or better yet have it accesable
>            via a left click on the desktop.

I am guessing that you are starting XFce from gdm.  When I used gdm on
Debian sid, I noticed when using xterm that the environment defined in
.bash_profile was lost.  IIRC I put a last line in
/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome:  if [ -f  " $HOME/.bash_profile ] ; then source
$HOME/.bash_profile ; done  (something like that)

If you are using gdm then you may have to add such a line to
/etc/gdm/Sessions/Xfce (or similarly named file).  Perhaps in your
distribution and installation of XFce there are other place such a line
would help.