still trying to lock xfce...

Alvise alvise.rabitti at querinistampalia.org
Fri Mar 12 09:57:56 CET 2004

Excuse me if I still bother you with this, but I'd like to understand
where I am wrong (and possibly correct me, because if I succeed in using
xfce for this work this could have greater impact on linux spreading at
my workplace)

I don't know if Jesper has found the problem I exposed and it is in his
plans to fix it (I don't even know if this, for you, is a problem :-) )

In the meantime i tried the "don't start the panel" way, and i put
mozilla in ~/Desktop/Autostart in a script that will always relaunch it
if someone closes its window.
So I came again (I already tried this some days ago) to the "don't start
the panel" point. Plain and simple: comment out the lines that start the
panel in /etc/xfce4/xinitrc.

I tried to comment out the "panel='which xfce4-panel'", the whole "case"
statement and both, but every time I start xfce4 it seems to load the
xfdesktop, the xftaskbar4, load even mozilla but then I get a message
from the X server stating that the session has lasted less than 10
seconds and since I haven't logged out there may be configuration or
disk space (5Gb free, may I doubt?) problems. Then it brings me back to gdm.

Anyone could tell me what I missed?

Thank you very much

Alvise