How to start Xfce...

Jack Kern jack_kern at operamail.com
Fri Mar 5 15:35:51 CET 2004

Mohindar Rao, Raavi (Broetje) wrote:

> I have installed all the stuff in my home directory, ~/xfce. I have
> found all the binary files in the bin directory.  But, I do not know
> how to start the Xfce.
>
> Can, any body help me how to write the session script to start.

/usr/bin/startxfce4

If you want to customize the start-up of XFce, you can make an
executable file, ~/xfce4/xinitrc.  On my Debian GNU/Linux unstable
system there is a file, /etc/xfce4/default.session, that could be copied
to ~/xfce4/xinitrc for an example.  Edit ~/xfce4/xinitrc for your own
needs.  Also take a look /etc/xfce/xinitrc.xfce4-session as another example.

jkern at boat:~$ cat /etc/xfce4/default.session
#!/bin/sh

smproxy &
xfwm4 --daemon
xftaskbar4 &
xfdesktop &
xfce4-iconbox &
xfce4-panel &
jkern at boat:~$

My ~/.xfce4/xinitrc:

jkern at boat:~$ ls -l .xfce4/xinitrc
-rwxr--r--    1 jkern    jkern         640 2004-02-29 20:39 .xfce4/xinitrc

jkern at boat:~$ cat .xfce4/xinitrc
#!/bin/sh
#Wed Feb 25 18:03:31 EST 2004

xsetroot -solid black -cursor_name watch

# Start stuff from ~/Desktop/Autostart directory, if it exists

if [ -d "$HOME/Desktop/Autostart" ]; then
  for i in `ls -1 ${HOME}/Desktop/Autostart/ 2>/dev/null`; do
    if [ -x $HOME/Desktop/Autostart/$i ]; then
      $HOME/Desktop/Autostart/$i &
    fi
  done
fi

# Setup environment

if [ -f $HOME/.Xresources ]; then
        xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources
fi

if [ -f $HOME/.bash_profile ]; then
        . $HOME/.bash_profile
fi

if [ -f $HOME/.Xmodmap ]; then
        xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap
fi

# Finally, launch XFce4 using xfce4-session

exec /usr/bin/xfce4-session