GTK, MDK, and XFCE

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 3 18:56:16 CET 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Andrew wrote:

> Once again, good idea.  Trying gnome, then xfce with user 'test'
> worked.  Now, since this is a config problem, how shall I proceed?

ok, this is good - much easier to fix than a system install issue.  you
have two options.  here's the way i'd do it:

1) get out of X, log in as root.
2) move your entire homedir elsewhere, and recreate it (perhaps copy
files from /etc/skel in there.  remember to set ownership and
permissions properly.
3) look in your old homedir, and copy files that you know have nothing
to do with gtk over to your new homedir.  copy application files
(dot-files and dot-dirs).  leave out anything with gnome, gtk, or gconf
in the name.  i'd say for now leave out your ~/.xfce4 directory as well.
just in case, leave out .kde, .kde2, and/or .kde3 as well.
4) log out, and back in as your normal user.

hopefully it should work...

	-brian