GTK, MDK, and XFCE

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 3 18:19:26 CET 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Andrew wrote:

> > have you ever run gnome2 on the box, and did that work ok with theme
> > switching?  if so, then i'm even more confused...
>
> Good idea.  I just tried running gnome and actually, the same thing
> happens: button icons change, menus/borders change, but nothing else.
> Does this help diagnose?

quite a bit, actually.  scratch my "long shot" modifier - it's almost
certainly a gtk engine install issue, or a theme install issue.  is this
a fresh install of mandrake with a user with a fresh homedir?  if not,
maybe try creating a new user and staring up X (try both xfce4 and
gnome2, i guess).  if the problem persists, at least that way we can
eliminate the possibility that there's a weird config file in your
homedir that's causing the problem.

if you're unable to fix the problem via normal means, you might try
downloading garnome (from http://gnome.org/)  it contains an installer
for an entire gnome2 distribution.  instead of following the install
directions provided, cd into gnome/gtk+ and run "make install
main_prefix=/opt/gtk2"  that should install the minimum for what you
need to get gtk2 working properly.  then you need to put /opt/gtk2/bin
in your PATH and /opt/gtk2/lib in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or list it first
in /etc/ld.so.conf and run 'ldconfig') before you start X.  you can
install gtk themes and theme engines to /opt/gtk2 and you'll have a nice
confined environment to see if that fixes the problem.  this is a bit of
a pain to do, so i'd only suggest this as a last resort.  if it gets to
that and you need help, feel free to email me off-list.

	-brian