Terminals

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Tue Mar 2 02:04:11 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 17:17, Jack Kern wrote:

> "ls -l  |  less"  or   "dmesg  | less"   would be a more applicable
> example, as he needs the pipe.

	Yes, that would be the best example.

OT Rambling follows...

	This reminds me of a little fun I had with another UNIX guy at work
last year.  They had an Oracle database and an LDAP database that were
supposed to be kept in sync.  The original developers used some perl
scripts to do the syncing but forgot to account for either resource to
be locked.  Thus they were in a very bad state.  I was tasked with
finding the records that were different and while filtering out the ones
that were supposed to be different and present the list to the new
developers[1].  Once we had the raw data we then had a great time trying
to use as many commands as we could piped together.  We wanted to only
use each command only once but we couldn't get around using grep twice.
At least not within the time frame given.  We ended up with a command
line that wrapped around the xterm twice.  Could it have been done
quicker if we'd've just run the commands sequentially?  Sure.  But it
wouldn't have been near as much fun.

--
Kuramarujo - http://www.webtrek.com/~klemmerj/sumo.html