Terminals

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Mon Mar 1 16:47:51 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 07:35, Jack Kern wrote:
> ...>>
> >>

> >what's going on? You shouldn't need a horizontal scrollbar, practically
> >anything will linewrap the output and if it doesn't, you can just
> >maximize the window (in Linux, the maximize button really does maximize
> >a terminal instead of just making it tall).
> >

> I don't know what problems he is having.  He said in an earlier post that:
>
> "(I launch java app from terminal, but line make output quite unreadable
> (for me)...) "
>
> I don't know what he is doing.  Is there something about java that is
> unusual in a terminal?

Not that I know of; I avoid Java when possible, but I've done some
support for Java programmers and it could generally be handled from
console. It does STDOUT/STDERR normally.

I suspect that he's looking for a specific problem that could probably
be handled with STDOUT redirection and grep. For instance, I've seen
Windows folks do stuff during debugging like enable a horizontal
scrollbar, then scroll it to the right. ctrl-c, cursor-up & return
restarts the app, and if you see anything in the terminal it's a problem
sign (assumption being that normal output being nicely formatted to <80
columns).
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
*"Sometimes when we're as close as this it's like we're in a         *