Terminals

Jack Kern jack_kern at operamail.com
Mon Mar 1 14:20:41 CET 2004

Julien Graglia wrote:

> Jack Kern wrote:
>
>> Garton, Jamie wrote:
>>
>>> can you get scrollbars with xterm?
>>>

>> Yes.  Please take a look:
>> man xterm  (If Debian/GNU Linux, sid/unstable, try man 1x xterm)
>>
>> xterm -sb
>>
>> Or put "XTerm*scrollBar:  true" in ~/.Xresources and arrange to run
>> "xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources"
>>
> And what about horizontal scrollbar (do not wrap line on windows
> length) ??
>
> (I launch java app from terminal, but line make output quite
> unreadable (for me)...) horizontal scrollbar

There is no horizontal scrollbar in xterm but you can do things to see
more information in the terminal window.  You can enlarge the terminal
by using the "maximize" (usually the middle button on the right hand set
of buttons on the window title bar).  In Xfwm you can right click to
maximize only horizontally or just drag the window margin border to
widen the window.  With xterm you can also use the "VT Fonts" menu: do a
control-right-click that will give you a menu to choose smaller fonts to
see more information.