Anyone use k3b or nautilus in xcfe4?

Auke Kok sofar at xfce.org
Tue Jun 22 10:54:51 CEST 2004

Chris Green wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:01:44AM +0200, Auke Kok wrote:
>

>>Chris Green wrote:
>>

>>>I have just installed a DVD writer, I've got the DVD recognised and
>>>I've installed the growisofs command line utilities for DVD writing
>>>and that seems OK but I'm having no luck at all with either k3b or
>>>nautilus-cd-burner.  Has anyone got a CD/DVD writer GUI going with
>>>xfce?
>>>
>>>My experience so far is:-
>>>
>>>nautilus-cd-burner - I downloaded the software, unpacked it, ran
>>>./confugure all OK.  But then what?  There isn't a Makefile so 'make'
>>>doesn't do anything and none of the INSTALL or README files tells you
>>>what to do.
>>>
>>>k3b - I got a slackware package for this and installed it with no
>>>problems and also installed KDE from my slackware 9.1 CD.  The
>>>requirements for the version of k3b that I have installed match the
>>>KDE I've installed.  However on running the k3b configure utility I
>>>get an error message about missing libraries and when I run k3b I get
>>>lots of errors about 'no GUI running'.  I thought xfce could run KDE
>>>applications.
>>>

>>You're comparing apples with pears here ... xfce can run any X
>>application, and as a matter of fact, it can even run non-X applications
>>(yes really).
>>

>Er, yes, I know that.  But xfce is supposed to be able to run KDE and
>Gnome applications by having suitable hooks for the KDE and Gnome
>utilities I think.  That was one of its original features.

burning a CD has nothing to do with the GUI, CD/DVD burning applications
use cdrecord, which is a non-X application that uses libs like cdrdao to
write to the DVD. A pretty/fancy wrapper like k3b does not do any
writing itself at all.

Xfce does not provide and need not provide any hooks at all to any
application except for maybe 'startup-notofication'. This has nothing to
do with writing data to a scsi(/emulated) hardware device node. Thats
all kernel land as well.

>>Your question is better suited for k3b-users or #gnome even, it has
>>nothing to do with xfce.
>>

>I think it has *some* relevance to xfce.  Other Gnome applications I
>have compiled do work successfully in xfce.

if you find ONE application that runs on a box with both gnome and xfce
installed (and working) and that DOES work under gnome but not under
xfce4 (except dockapps and that stuff that require the gnome-panel
working or something like that) you have found the impossible.

ANY application can run under xfce4. As long as it has the supporting
libraries installed and in place the application should not care at all
if it's running on a X-server with whatever desktop management set at
all (or none, so a plain empty X). Xfce does not restrict anything at all.

>>If you want to know how to compile stuff yourself then read the INSTALL
>>file that is packed with almost every source tarball. Be dangerous.
>>

>If you read my posting I did exactly that!  I have compiled heaps of
>stuff over the years for all sorts of operating systems.  The problem
>is that neither k3b nor nautilus-cd-burner seem to want to work like
>just about everything else I've built, I was just asking for some
>hints/help relating to them under xfce.

here's how we compile nautilus-cd-burner under lunar-linux:

   ./configure  --prefix=/usr &&
    make

it works for us. If you don't get a Makefile then something went wrong
with the configure. Most likely, you are missing a dependency. Try
reading the output of the ./configure command. Watning: nautilus
requires a tonload of dependencies. You're prolly better off starting
out with xcdroast, which basically only needs gtk+-2 and cdrtools/cdrecord.

>>I use plenty of cd/dvd writing applications, most notably cdrecord
>>itself and xcdroast, k3b...
>>

>Good for you, how did you get them to run under xfce, or didn't you?

I installed them.

they also work when I run 'startx' instead of 'startxfce4'. They also
work when I run a KDE session (even xcdroast), and even k3b runs when I
use xfce4. Also, when I login using gnome-2.6, both k3b and xcdroast
also work. amazing!

I did not do anything special except install them, and configured them
which device they had to use.

summary: you're better off trying to figure out why nautilus doesn't
work in #gnome-users or #nautilus or... then asking in a xfce-users
mailinglist.... really. The xfce guys are too busy programming key
bindings and focus algorithms.

sofar