Workspaces in a matrix.

Xan DXpublica at telefonica.net
Tue Jun 15 21:49:49 CEST 2004

Dimarts 15 Juny 2004 19:55, en/na Josh Howard (<Josh Howard
<jrh at zeppelin.net>>) va escriure:

> Xan <DXpublica at telefonica.net> writes:
> > So, why not we can have more than 32 workspaces?
> > Is it possible to have a variable number of workspaces in xfce4(.1?)?
> > It's just a curiosity. I'm not interested in that, because I only use 4
> > workspaces as maximum, but for the people who use several (more).
>
> I can't imagine that lining them up in a linear fashion will make 32
> anywhere near usable.
I can't imagine too ;-)

> I suppose you could bind a whole bunch of keys
> to get to various places in the line-up, but without being able to
> put them in a grid, getting to them is a lot more trouble than it's
> worth. I'm using 9 now, since that's about the most I can logically
> bind to keys (I reserve a lot of keys on the keyboard for other
> operations), but would like to use 12 or 16 and I think without
> laying them out in a 3x4 or 4x4, it'll not be at all possible.

Maybe the most way to dispose more than 32 workspaces (and even less) is with
a matrix.

I vote for that feature:
 1) a variable number of workspaces
 and
 2) the possibility of sorting them into a matrix (nxm where n and m is
choosen by user)

But I think that it's not a important new feature to implement (other features
I think are most important: for example, the possibility to hide taskbar and
panel (like gnome or kde)).

But if anyone implement it, I think that it could be in taskbar and panel
plugin.

Thanks,
Xan.