I can't see /usr/local/share/xfwm4/themes/ in my Xfce 4.0.5. Why?

Christopher christopher.carroll at birch.net
Mon Jun 14 23:39:44 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 14:57, Xan wrote:
> Dilluns 14 Juny 2004 00:38, en/na Andrew Conkling (<Andrew Conkling
> <andrewski at fr.st>>) va escriure:
>
> > On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 23:59 +0200, Xan wrote:
> > > I have xfce4.0.5 and I don't know why, but I have themes
> > > in  /usr/local/share/xfwm4/themes/
> > > but these not appear in xfce settings?. Why?
> >
> > I don't have a ready answer to your question, but on which platform do
> > you have your XFCE?  And is it RPM-based, pre-compiled, or did you do it
> > yourself?  I imagine these details would help someone smarter than I
> > figure out your problem quickly.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andrew
>
> Sorry.
> I have a xfce4 from Debian Sid.
> Can it help you (and me ;)?
>
> Thanks,
> Xan.

First of all, understand that these themes are xfwm themes, not gtk
themes.  So they should appear on the Window Manager Preferences dialog,
not on the User Interface Preferences dialog.

Secondly, if they do not appear there, it means that xfwm4 is looking
somewhere else.  xfwm4 looks in DATADIR/xfwm4/themes.  Unless configured
differently at compile time, this will be PREFIX/share/xfwm4/themes.  To
see which prefix your xfwm4 has, look for the xfwm4 executable.  Unless
configured differently at compile time, it will be in PREFIX/bin.  So if
it is not in /usr/local/bin then your themes are probably in the wrong
place (I say probably because, again, all this can be configured
differently at compile time).

If your themes are in the wrong place, try reinstalling xfwm4-themes.
If you compiled from source recompile them and make sure prefix is
configured to be /usr/local (the default).  If that doesn't work
reinstall xfwm4 with the same prefix and don't override DATADIR.

Another thing to be sure to check is the permissions on the dirs in the
path /usr/local/share/xfwm4/themes - should probably be 755.

Good luck