Themes

Andrew Conkling andrewski at fr.st
Fri Jun 11 07:52:23 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 10:59 -0400, Devin Whalen wrote:
> However, it is the user-interface themes that are not working.  It seems
> to almost hang for a second and then do nothing.  Is there something
> that I have to make sure is running?  What xfce4 rpm do I need for the
> user-interface themes?

As someone (I deleted the emails) said, the user interface is controlled
by the GTK2 configuration, so you'll need the gtk RPMs installed.  The
most directly pertinent I have on my machine are gtk-engines-0.12-8mdk
and gtk-themes-1.0-10mdk; you could start there by urpmi'ing, which
would take care of any dependencies.

> and for information :
> > $ rpm -qa|grep xf
>
> Your query didn't show any gtk-xfce-engine as well.  Does this mean you
> don't need it for xfce4 on Mandrake?  That seems strange.

That all depends on which theme you're trying to load.  The one I use
doesn't use XFCE's engine (it uses the pixmap engine), so you have to
look in the gtkrc for the theme you're using (usually as theme_root_dir/
gtk-2.0/gtkrc).

> > You need Smooth gtk2 engine, since that theme uses it.
>
> Does anyone know any urpmi sites that carry this rpm?

root:gtk-2.0$ urpmf smooth | grep gtk
<SNIP>
gnome-themes-extras:/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.2.0/engines/libsmooth.so

Looks like that RPM will work, which is available on any valid contrib
mirror.  (Check out http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/ to add a contrib
mirror to your urpmi database.)

Let us know if you have more questions!

Cheers,