/etc/X11/xfce4/xinitrc weirdness

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 8 19:14:16 CEST 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Alexandre Aractingi wrote:

> I use the binary version that came with my RPM: xfce-session-0.1.4-1mdk

hmm, i think this is a somewhat old version (i.e., before the rewrite -
benny?), so the ~/Desktop/Autostart method should work.  but i could be
wrong.

> ps -ef shows:
> [...]
> alex      5465  5384  0 17:45 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/xfce4-session
> alex      5532  5465  0 17:45 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh
> /etc/X11/xfce4/xinitrc
>
> which seems to indicate that xinitrc's pid is a child of xfce4-sessions,
> isn't that weird?

yeah, that is somewhat strange, but i think it makes sense in a weird
way.  xinitrc runs xfce4-session by calling 'exec xfce4-session', which
in essence replaces the process image of xinitrc with xfce4-session.
but i'm not really sure why the second one is there.  very weird.

even weirder... on my machine, i have 'exec ssh-agent xfce4-session'
instead, and if i do 'ps -ef', i see that the parent PID of both xinitrc
and ssh-agent is the PID of xfce4-session.  that's weird.

anyway, it is definitely the case that xinitrc launches xfce4-session,
and not the other way around.

> And by the way, although ~/.xsessions-errors does show some activity,
> putting gkrellm in ~/.xsession doesn't make it start either...

IIRC ~/.xsession is only used if you're using a display manager
(xdm/gdm/kdm/etc) that has an "Xsession" option or something like that.

as a final option to actually fix your problem...  if gkrellm supports
session management, if you start it up and quit xfce4, and select "save
session", gkrellm should restart automatically.  if this doesn't work,
sorry, but your using an unsupported, unreleased session manager, so...
too bad for you ^_~.

	-brian