xfce4-session: longer start

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Jun 6 22:42:19 CEST 2004

Sergey Manucharyan wrote:
> Hi Benedikt,
>
>  > > Since xfce4-session works fine for most of us, I think the problem
>  > > is caused by libSM and/or libICE on your machine, or maybe your
>  > > system configuration. Honestly I can't think of anything a user
>  > > could mess up with, that'd cause such problems and wouldn't be
>  > > detected the sanity check xfce4-session performs at startup, but if
>  > > you find out, please let me know, so I can add it to the sanity
>  > > check. You could start by sending every piece of information about
>  > > your system regarding session management (Which OS? libSM/libICE
>  > > version? etc.), maybe that helps tracking the problem.
>
> My system is ArchLinux pre-0.7, xfree86-4.3.0, libSM-6.0, libICE-6.3
>
>  > Just a guess, but do you have the iceauth utility installed?
>
> No, I don't have this utility.

Install it (it ships with XFree86, some distros call it xfree86-utils or
xfree86-clients).

> But what significant difference is between the last version of xfce4-session and previous ones causing such a behavior?
> (I didn't change my system configuration during several months)

The point is, that the previous session manager kindly ignored all kinds of
problems which led to several serious problems (like the xterm-linux-crashes,
etc.). The current session manager behaves different to that (at one point -
4.2 release - it'll behave the right way, currently its still a bit wacky).
iceauth is _required_ to setup the authentication data for the ICE
communication, xfce4-session won't work w/o iceauth, cause it does not support
and will not ever support host based authentication (which is brain-damage btw.).

> Sergey

Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/