Features wishlist for xfce 4.1

Wolf Lichtenberger wowowolf at web.de
Sun Jun 6 01:24:56 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
 > On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Xan wrote:
 >>So the question is "how developers decide if a feature has to be included in
 >>the code? and how it's decided to decline this feature?". I'm afraid that
 >>developers decide it _subjectively_. I mean that if someone propose a feature
 >>A, if some developer _think_ that A is useful, then he/she implements it and
 >>we have a new feature. But why not doing this by objective way as possible as
 >>it can be.
 >

 > of _course_ it's subjective.  that's the whole point.  these projects
 > exist because of people wanting to code things because they think they
 > are fun and useful.  if *i* don't think it's useful, *i* am not going to
 > code it.  if someone else wants to, and the maintainer feels that
 > including the patch doesn't pose a problem (whether in performance or
 > code maintenance - whatever), then that's fine.  but if you want a
 > feature in a codebase, one of the most important steps is *getting it
 > written*.  if no one wants to take the initiative in coding it, it's not
 > going to happen.  you can't expect a developer of an OSS project to
 > write something they don't care about or aren't interested in.

AFAIK if enough people want a specific feature or development direction and are
able to code it, an OSS project could easily fork.

About the only thing to really agree upon would be a name for the forked version.

Has IIRC happened before. So, roll your own if it doesn't fit yet.

Now if only i could code well enough... 8^)
--
regards,
-- Wolf Lichtenberger