Features wishlist for xfce 4.1

Shahar Weiss sweiss4 at gmx.net
Fri Jun 4 22:08:31 CEST 2004

Olivier wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 17:43, Xan wrote:
>

>>So the question is "how developers decide if a feature has to be included in
>>the code? and how it's decided to decline this feature?". I'm afraid that
>>developers decide it _subjectively_.
>>

>It seems to me fairly obvious that it is subjective, for the very simple
>reason that we write the software, so we are free to make it the way we
>want.
>
>Cheers,
>Olivier.

I was just wondering, is it possible for panel plugins to manipulate
with other XFce components? If so, this may be the solution. People who
will want a certain feature can just add a plugin, while other can enjoy
being bloat-free. As for who will write those plugins, this is a
different story, I'm just wondering about the architecture.

For example, I was thinking about making windows manage themselves
(kinda like in ION), but I bet that will be very messy to code and will
probably generate much lesser performance, so maybe if a panel plugin,
something external for that matter, can handle such a thing, it might be
just a way to enjoy both worlds.

Can plugins do such things?

Shahar.