Features wishlist for xfce 4.1

Xan DXpublica at telefonica.net
Fri Jun 4 17:43:31 CEST 2004

Divendres 04 Juny 2004 15:59, en/na Olivier (<Olivier <fourdan at xfce.org>>)
wrote (not in that order):
[...]
> That said, I'm not against any change, or any feature, for example, the
> alt+tab dialog now shows the icons of the apps and the application class
> is shows in bold (see attachement) - People have been asking for that
> for a while, and I've finally been convined that this feature was indeed
> useful.

So the question is "how developers decide if a feature has to be included in
the code? and how it's decided to decline this feature?". I'm afraid that
developers decide it _subjectively_. I mean that if someone propose a feature
A, if some developer _think_ that A is useful, then he/she implements it and
we have a new feature. But why not doing this by objective way as possible as
it can be.

Why not decide the criterions for include a feature or not?
Implicitily, there are criterions for solve or not solve a bug: 1) Solve or
the bugs ;-), 2) Solve sooner the important bugs (security bugs, ...)

So why can't do the same in features?
For example, we can have the following criterions (these are only examples. I
don't propose any of them):
1) We include any "GUI-feature": that is features that do the same as console
applications but with GUI. For example, in that category, we have app for
make xfce4 themes (as GUI way and not gtkrc way), ....

2) We include a feature if it treat something that were new. Developers have
to decide what or what not is "new". Tabs are new?

3) We include a feature if the implementation of the code only suppose <=150Kb
of work ;-)

4) If more than 10 users think that a feature could be include, we will
include it.

It's only a speculation.

> People usually like xfce because it's simpler, easier, faster, etc. If
> we do implement any feature newcomers want, we'll miss our goal.

This is what I refer in some way. For example, you say that any feature is
supordinated to the fastness (I don't know if it's say by this way in
english ;) of XFCE. So this is criteron #0 :-p

But the important is that this criterions are public.

Regards,
Xan.