Aterm and transparency

Auke Kok sofar at xfce.org
Tue Jun 1 17:22:16 CEST 2004

Chris Green wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:57:21AM +0000, brettholcomb at charter.net wrote:
>

>>><RANT>Talk about an ill-considered piece of eye-candy. And yes, I do have
>>>an OSX PowerBook as well, though it is my least-favorite computer. True
>>>transparency rapidly leads to text in another page being visible through
>>>the text you're reading, which makes it hard to read.</RANT>
>>>--
>>>Jack At Monkeynoodle.Org:
>>>It's A Scientific Venture...
>>>

>>Thank you for the clarification.  Yes, I can see where it could be a problem.  I'm going to play with it and see what happens.  I'm climbing a little higher on the learning curve <G>.
>>

>I have to agree with Jack, I can see no good use for transparency
>except to prove that it can be done.  If I can see what's behind a
>terminal window I probably can't see what's in the terminal window.

Actually I use aterms with dimmed transparency and focus tinting as
well, not only does it look good, it also helps me focus because the
terminal that has the focus is brighter than the others, which helps you
a lot when switching desktops and terminals a lot (what you get from
monitoring 10-30 systems for instance).

Of course, it's really only usable with tinting, and I usually select a
not-too-bright monocolour background
( sorta like: http://lunar-linux.org/?q=node/view/107 ). Aterm does that
pretty good.

if you want to try it here's my .Xdefaults for aterm:

aterm*background: black
aterm*foreground: gray
aterm*shading: 35
aterm*fading: 75