Problem with Panel from CVS this morning

Mon Jul 26 05:36:56 CEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 10:47, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 10:40, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> > Marc Schwartz wrote:
> > > Greetings all,
> > >
> > > All of a sudden this morning, I am having problems loading xfce4-panel
> > > after building from CVS today. This is on FC2 (fully updated).
>
> > snip
>

> > > Any hints?  If more information is required, let me know.
> >
> > configure wasn't up-to-date. Should be fixed in CVS. Please retry.
>

> Thanks Benedikt.
>
> I'll re-run the scripts and post back with the results. I also have to
> run a couple of errands, so it may be a couple of hours or so.
>
> Marc

Benedikt,

Apologies for the delay in getting back here. We had a bit of a family
emergency today and just got back this evening.

I spent the past hour or so recompiling everything, however it has not
resolved the problem.

That being said, I think I may have narrowed some additional
possibilities.

When I thought about the behavior earlier, su'ing to root and running
the panel, it worked fine. When I eliminated the xfce4rc file from
~/.xfce4 and re-loaded the panel for myself, it also worked. In both
cases, the panel presumably used the default xfce4rc file.

That made me begin to think that there was a panel plug-in problem,
rather than perhaps the panel itself.

I thus went through xfce4rc and removed all panel plug-ins so that I
only had a blank panel. I then began to re-add in each plug-in, one by
one.

Two things happened.

First, I noted some messages in the console, when I used the new xfce
menu with a modified xml file that I had created from the original
menu.xml file. I had used the menu editor to modify the selections and
to disable the 'system' auto menu. After loading the panel with the xfce
menu and the default menu file, I then selected the file that I edited
and got the following:

(xfce4-panel:11862): GLib-CRITICAL **: file ghash.c: line 291
(g_hash_table_insert): assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed

(xfce4-panel:11862): GLib-CRITICAL **: file ghash.c: line 554
(g_hash_table_foreach): assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed

Recall that these were the first two messages that I got earlier. So
they may have been something of a red-herring in so far as the panel not
functioning properly.

I can in fact use the modified menu file and it works fine, so I am
unsure as to the nature of the problem at this point. It is certainly
possible that this error is not new and was hidden during normal X
startup. I will further review the xml file that I edited to see if
there is anything else there that I can find. These messages do not
appear when selecting the default menu.xml file.

The second thing that I found was that as soon as I added the clipboard
manager plug-in to the panel, the panel locks up. This is consistently
reproducible. I edited the xfce4rc file, removing the clipboard manager
plug-in and the panel works fine each time.

I should note that the two additional console messages that I got
earlier no longer appear before the panel locks up. So perhaps this
issue was fixed by the updated configure you referred to earlier.

I went back to re-configure and re-make the clipboard plug-in and no
error or warning messages appear. Yet it still causes the panel to lock
up. Thus it would appear that perhaps the initial panel lock up problem
that I was having was related to this plug-in.

However, this is new behavior as of the cvs build this weekend, so I am
confused as to what changed here. This plug-in was working fine until
then with the cvs build as of a few days ago.

If there are any hints, or if you require more information, let me know.
It is getting late here and I'll be off to sleep soon. I will check back
in the morning.

Thanks,

Marc Schwartz