Small panel feature request

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Jul 20 22:15:25 CEST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Don Christensen wrote:

>    - It would be helpful to have a button to launch the menu editor from
>      the Xfce Menu properties dialog for the chosen menu file.

funny, i thought about adding that right after i committed my last batch
of changes to the plugin last night.  i was getting tired of coding at
the time, so i didn't add it, but i'll do that.

>    - It would be nice to have some sort of indication that the button
>      is a "drawer", maybe something like adding a little triangle above
>      the icon (but it would not be a separate clickable area).  I don't
>      know how hard this would be, but it is certainly something I could
>      live without if it isn't close to trivial to do.

yeah - i suppose i could make a semi-transparent arrow-type icon and
composite it over top of the button icon.  or something.  i'd thought
about this a while ago (and you're not the first one to request it).
it's a little bit of a pain, but i can probably work something out.

>    - The tooltip for the button is "Xfce Menu".  It would be nice if it
>      would use the menu title for the tooltip.

except that all menus don't have titles, and, as it's currently written,
the plugin has no clue about the menu's contents.  that's not likely to
change.

>    - Currently, the menu pops up over the panel and mostly to the right
>      of the menu button.  I think it would look better if it worked more
>      like the launcher menu where it pops up centered over the button
>      and with the bottom of the menu touching the top of the panel (this
>      is, of course, based on having the panel at the bottom of the screen).

i'm not sure that this is worth the trouble.  it's just a normal gtk
menu (unlike the panel launcher drawers), and i'm just calling
gtk_menu_popup(), which, unless you do some menu width and cursor
position calculation, just pops up the menu with the top left corner at
the mouse position (or top right, if the click is close to the right
screen edge).

> Another issue that is not directly related to the menu (and may not
> even be something you are responsible for) is the icon selector.  It
> would be nice if it could remember where I was the last time I selected
> an icon.  I just created a menu with four vncviewer launchers, and for
> each one I have to navigate from my home directory over into /usr/share/...
> to find the icon I want (which is the same for all four entries).

this is a general gtk gripe of mine - i wish either a) the file chooser
would remember the previous location globally for gtk, or b) provide
apps with an easy way of keeping track of this state.  but it doesn't,
so it's up to the app to keep the directory lying around in a global
somewhere...

	-brian