Small panel feature request

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Tue Jul 20 21:22:33 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> i was bored, and it seemed like a cool idea, so i went ahead and did
> it.  also gave me the chance to clean up some menu internals...
>
>    -brian

Okay, so I've built all the latest code from CVS HEAD for all the apps
and logged out and back in to assure a clean environment.

The new menu mechanism works great, pretty much just what I wanted.
I do have some issues/comments where it could be improved some.  The
first item I would consider a significant usability improvement; the
second item seems like a bug to me; the rest would be "nice-to-haves".
Next time you get tired of working on xfmusic and can't figure out
what to do with your spare time, you can take an item off this list. :)

   - It would be helpful to have a button to launch the menu editor from
     the Xfce Menu properties dialog for the chosen menu file.
   - (I think this is more for Jean-Francois) In the menu editor, when I
     right-click on a menu entry, then click outside the popup, the entry
     seems to get selected as some sort of DnD and attached to my mouse
     cursor.  This also happens if I select "edit" and then exit the
     edit popup.  I have to right-click again to "drop" the item.
   - It would be nice to have some sort of indication that the button
     is a "drawer", maybe something like adding a little triangle above
     the icon (but it would not be a separate clickable area).  I don't
     know how hard this would be, but it is certainly something I could
     live without if it isn't close to trivial to do.
   - The tooltip for the button is "Xfce Menu".  It would be nice if it
     would use the menu title for the tooltip.
   - Currently, the menu pops up over the panel and mostly to the right
     of the menu button.  I think it would look better if it worked more
     like the launcher menu where it pops up centered over the button
     and with the bottom of the menu touching the top of the panel (this
     is, of course, based on having the panel at the bottom of the screen).

Another issue that is not directly related to the menu (and may not
even be something you are responsible for) is the icon selector.  It
would be nice if it could remember where I was the last time I selected
an icon.  I just created a menu with four vncviewer launchers, and for
each one I have to navigate from my home directory over into /usr/share/...
to find the icon I want (which is the same for all four entries).

Anyway, I want to thank you for adding this feature, it makes my desktop
that much more comfortable for me.

Thanks,
-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA