Just a little something for my eyes only....

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 10 07:11:13 CEST 2004

Christian Dysthe wrote:

> I know I am asking about something that is only eye-candy and probably
> resource intensive as well, but what the heck:
>
> What would it take to have drop shadows under windows like OS X has?
> Xfce now looks so great that I would die to see what this would do to
> the overall look of my desktop. It sure looks great on OS X...
>
> Again, I am sorry for suggesting something completely
> useless....still.... :)

to do this in a non-hacky way, you need an X server that actually
supports transparency and compositing, like keith packard's kdrive
(http://xserver.freedesktop.org/).  if you use that, you actually get
the drop shadows automatically, IIRC.  however, it's rather experimental
and unstable.  emulating this in xfwm4 would be a terrible hack (IMHO,
the gtk menu drop shadow patch mentioned in another post is a bit of a
hack as well, though a very well-executed one) and would most likely
kill performance - esp when resizing.  one reason the perf hit isn't so
bad on on the gtk menu patch is because you don't resize them and you
don't move them.

it _would_ be a nice effect though....

    -brian