Problem installing xfce from src tarballs

Christopher christopher.carroll at birch.net
Tue Jul 6 02:12:47 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 18:25, Steve Cooke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the source tarball, untar'ed everything and started the
> install process as indicated in the online documentation:
>
> "Build order:
>
>     1. libxfce4util
>     2. libxfcegui4
>     3. libxfce4mcs
>     4. xfce-mcs-manager
>     5. all other modules (you have to install xfce4 panel before
> compiling panel plugins)."
>
> The libxfce4util stuff installed correctly (that is, there were no
> errors.) However, the ./configure of libxfcegui4 aborted giving the
> following error:
>
> "checking for libxfce4util-1.0 >= 4.0.0... Package libxfce4util-1.0 was
> not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libxfce4util-1.0.pc'
> No package 'libxfce4util-1.0' found
>
> configure: error: Library requirements (libxfce4util-1.0 >= 4.0.0) not
> met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your
> libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them."
>
> Any help resolving this error would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Cooke.

If you're not passing any argumenst (like --prefix=) to ./configure then
the packages will be installed in the /usr/local prefix (which is
probably what you want).  pkgconfig is probably installed in /usr so
your PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable will then need to contain the path
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.  So execute this first:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

See the installation guide:
http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=documentation&lang=en
in the same section from which you quoted the build order.