A Wacky Idea...

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Thu Jul 1 23:44:26 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 15:35, Olivier wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 23:30, Matt Thompson wrote:
> > Well, Mongolian is written top-to-bottom (and then left-to-right).
> > Sure, all the fonts I've seen are left-to-right (or RtL), but if
> > Unicode/X/pango could do it, this would be useful for them.
>
> Writing top to bottom is very different from a left to right text being
> rotated vertically.

Oh, I know, I was just saying who it could be useful for. ;)

It's even worse for traditional Mongolian since it's a cursive
language.  Each letter has an initial, medial, and final (and solitary
for vowels) form.  It's languages like this and Arabic that I so admire
the Unicode/i18n people.

That said, the few instances of printed Mongolian I've seen is rotated
since the font isn't vertical.

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/