[Request] Always on top

nico at beatz.no-ip.org nico at beatz.no-ip.org
Mon Jan 26 13:45:18 CET 2004

Quote from the XFCE Faq:
6. Why are there no options to start an application without any window
decoration, to "keep it on top" of other windows, or to make it disappear
from the taskbar ?

xfwm4 does not, and will never, include any mechanism to bypass what the
application wants. The application should allow this by using standard
hints for Window Managers. Moreover, by doing it in the application, it
will work with all WM. Gkrellm2 is a good example of such implementation.

If you really want those features you should check Fluxbox out. It works
with layers on the desktop, every app resides in a layer and you can move
your windows through these layers, effectively creating always on top or
always under or always in the middle or...