The file browser

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Sun Jan 25 17:45:06 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 02:04, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 19:19, Robert Serphillips wrote:
> > Any chance you could add a tree view ala windows explorer or Nautilus?
> > Maybe it could be a configurable feature that can be disabled for people
> > who don't like that sort of thing.
>
> Then why not using xffm ?
>
> Cheers,

Reasons I don't use it, in no particular order (note that these are all
issues that Rox filer doesn't have):

Even in small view, it selects a font that is maybe five points bigger
than any other font on my desktop. Since my eyesight isn't so good and I
already use larger fonts than most people, we're talking like H2 in HTML
:-)

Half the screen is taken up with toolbars. Yes, they can be collapsed,
but I don't have the patience to go through all those buttons and figure
out which ones I'm going to be using regularly.

It is bizarrely slow, compared to the rest of XFce4. While it is fast to
start up, operations like a single-file drag-n-drop copy (860 bytes)
take over a second to complete, most of which is popping up a file
progress dialog. Doing it in Rox is as fast as doing in an xterm.

It doesn't ask if I want to copy or move a file when I drag-n-drop.

I can't select multiple items by drawing a box around them.

If I select two items, I have to keep the mouse button down while I
decide where to drag them too; releasing the mouse button undoes the
selection. Every other file manager I'm familiar with saves the
selection state until you click on the background.

No thumbnails for image files.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
*"Take my hand and dry your tears babe, take my hand and forget      *