wack file browser idea

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 24 17:57:15 CET 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:40:28AM -0800, Jack Coates wrote:
> location bar at bottom, with globbing and tab completion of course, also
> implementing complete cp, mv, and ln by passing the commands right
> through to a shell.
>
> Say I browse to ~/docs/foo and see a ton of JPEGs I want to move -- so I
> type in the location bar: mv *.jpg ../../images/
>
> that'd be really cool <insert beavis snigger>.

your description makes me wonder why you don't use bash then... the only
situation i've ever encountered in which a graphical file manager beats a
command line is when i have to move/copy/delete a large number of files
that cannot be captured with a glob. with tab completion, i'm generally
much faster typing 'cd /path/to/dir/i/want/to/move/to' than clicking and
opening a bunch of folders in a file manager.

but of course, that's just me. ;-)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments