no AA fonts in XFce4

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 21 19:04:27 CET 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:17:04PM +0000, Bill Trenker wrote:
> Joost Kremers wrote:
>
> > i'm probably missing something silly, but i can't find what it is. anyone
> > have a hint?
>
> I don't know if it's related, but I just went through building and
> installing xfce4 and no fonts showed up anywhere in xfce.  But my other
> GTK+2 apps (abiword, dia) worked fine with fonts.  Then I downloaded
> another GTK+2 app (glade-2) and built it.  That one didn't have any fonts
> showing!  So I knew I had a conflict somewhere and it turned out I had
> two versions of Pango installed.  As soon as I got rid of the library
> files for the old version of Pango, all my GTK+2 apps worked, including
> xfce4.

well, i was quite sure i didn't have two versions of pango, but just to be
sure i gave it a try. i uninstalled version 1.2.5, ran updatedb and did a
'locate pango'. nothing showed up. 'pkg-config --modversion pango' said
there was no package pango installed. trying to start xfce gave a missing
library 'pangox'.

so i'm pretty sure i only have one version of pango installed. ;-)

what does make me wonder, though: if XFce is to use AA fonts, shouldn't it
be linked against pangoxft rather than pangox? both are present on my
system.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments