What makes Xfce so good?

Jonathan j.e.drews at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 11 22:56:01 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 15:21, Chris Brault wrote:
> However, aside from this discussion, my question still
> stands. What makes the Xfce4 desktop better then
> Blackbox, WindowMaker, Enlightenment or any other of
> the plethora of "light-weight" desktops?

Xfce4 is better because it has fewer bugs. I used Blackbox and Fluxbox
briefly but they seemed to have bugs that were not going to get fixed
anytime soon. The menu in IceWM was too hard to setup. I think the Xfce
developers take bug fixing very seriously. They make sure things work
right. With a lot of desktops/window managers, features come and go but
bugs stick around forever. The bugs are really bad news for end users.

 Look at using Linux / *BSD from a newbies standpoint:
      * They have to learn bash, find, grep and locate.
      * They have to learn about the UNIX permissions
      * They have to learn how to setup PPP and printing.
      * They have to learn either Vim or EMACS.
The newbie is already overwhelmed. If something goes wrong with his or
her desktop not only do they do not know where to look but they have not
yet acquired the above skills to diagnose the problem.

 Xfce succeeds because it's designed and developed so that it is
reliable and robust.