xfce as SuSE, etc. desktop

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sun Jan 11 02:58:53 CET 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Chuck Mead wrote:

> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> | Is there any chance to interest Novell or Redhat in including XFCE in
> | their arsenal of desktops?
>
> XFce is in rawhide now at Red Hat and is slated for direct inclusion
> into Fedora Core 2. If it stays in it will likely make it into RHEL4.

Chuck was kind enough to work with me a couple evenings ago on
this (I've been running xfce, v.3.8.18 everywhere I admin,
already);  It builds and installs cleanly on cAos-1, and will
be present in cAos generally, and as an add-on to CentOS as
well.

Screenshot at:
     http://www.herrold.com/caos-xfce4-800-600.jpg

Integration into the WM chooser logic still needs to happen
for the DM choice, and some initial default setup code is
needed, but these are straightforward tasks.

-- Russ Herrold