GTK

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 29 22:22:07 CET 2004

Lionel Laratte wrote:

> I followed the GTK thread this morning with great interest.  I have
> this issue.  I installed XFce4 on a friend's laptop and, since he had
> KDE on it first, everything has the KDE themes and looks like KDE.
> Any idea how to change this so that GTK is the default.  Thanks.

if apps "look like kde" then they are kde/qt apps and thus cannot use
gtk's theming capabilities.  there are some "metathemes" floating out
there that contain similar-looking gtk and qt/kde themes, but personally
i don't like them all that much.  there are ongoing efforts to allow
kde/qt to use gtk's theme engines and vice versa, but nothing usable
yet, iirc.

the bottom line: if you want all your apps to look the same in xfce,
don't run kde apps.  install and run their gtk2/gnome2 counterparts, if
available.

    -brian