Add Recently Used File List to Desktop Menu?

Fri Feb 27 17:28:24 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 09:51, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 09:33:25AM -0600, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> > I also just noticed another issue from the above file segment, which I
> > had not before. It appears that not all applications (ie. XEmacs) update
> > the file list. For example, if I use gedit to edit and save a file (such
> > as above), the recently used list is updated. However, if I used XEmacs
> > on a file, the list is unchanged.
> >
> > That might suggest that there is a desktop (ie. GNOME/KDE) library
> > specific functionality when saving a file, which would be a problem. I
> > noted the same thing when using OpenOffice under XFCE4, whereas I am
> > pretty sure that when I used to run GNOME, the OO.org files were on the
> > GNOME panel recently used file list.
> >
> > Does that make sense?  If so, then the value of my thought would be
> > diminished.
> >

> It is certainly up to the program to support this. A bit strange that
> OO.o works differently under GNOME, but that's also the case for
> folowing theme changes.

Ok....I just figured out the difference.

I logged out and (don't yell at me...  ;-) ran GNOME.

When using OO.o Writer to create and save a file, the file did not show
up on the list. However, if I click the file in Nautilus, opening it in
Writer, then the OO.o file showed up in the list. That's why I
remembered the OO.o files being listed under GNOME. It is Nautilus, not
OO.

So, indeed, it would appear to be up to the application being used to
access the file.

That would diminish the value of my thought, since I am of course
neither using GNOME nor Nautilus.

Oh well....back to more coffee...  ;-)

Thanks Jasper.

Marc