SMB Browsing Error - (WBEL: Fedora RPM's to install XFce)

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser at pmbenterprises.com
Fri Feb 27 16:30:45 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 10:23, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> El vie, 27-02-2004 a las 07:20, Paul M. Bucalo escribió:
> > On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 07:53, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> > > The Fedora RPM's for XFce-4.0.3.1 were installed on WBEL 3.0-fixed. I am
> > > finding that I cannot browse or connect to my MDK 9.1 Samba server or
> > > shares, respectively. The error that given in the 'xffm' monitor is as
> > > follows:
> > >
> > > Looking for master browsers...
> > > XFSAMBA> nmblookup -M -- -
> > > queryiNg __MSBROWSE__ on 192.168.1.255
> > > name_query failed to find name __MSBROWSE__#01
> > >
> > > Nautilus browses and connects with normalcy.
> > >
> > > Workstations and server are statically assigned and all '/etc/hosts'
> > > files have the server's IP and host name included. Nothing has changed
> > > to the network outside of this recent WBEL installation. BTW...I have a
> > > Fedora workstation up and running and it browses and connects as
> > > expected.
> > >
> > > Has anyone experienced this in WBEL? Could this be because I used
> > > Fedora-favored RPM's to install XFce? Any ideas as to where to find my
> > > solution?
> >
> > Here's a follow-up to this...
> >
> > I decided to see what was happening in the background: I ran 'xffm' from
> > a terminal window. There were warnings about needing to set SMB_CODESET
> > to ISO-8859-1, but nothing else regarding the browse or connection
> > phase. Then, the unexpected happen: 'xffm' was able to browse the Samba
> > server and connect! I exited out of 'xffm' and terminal window, and
> > tried to browse/connect using 'xffm' run from the XFce panel. It worked!
> > Go figure.
> >
> > I'm glad that the problem has been resolved, but I still would like to
> > know if anyone has any idea(s) as to why it happened in the first place.
>
> It looks like a transient problem with the smb network. At the moment
> xffm first queried there was no master browser to be found. After a
> while a master browser became available --and so with workgroup
> information. Even if no master browser is available, you can connect to
> a remote smb node using the "goto" function towards //computer_name.
> This will place an icon for the remote computer and you can open it.

Thanks, Edscott. I haven't explored the full use of 'xffm' as yet. I
tried the "goto" function to see how it operates. Nice feature! Of
course, it worked, not that the master browser has finally been seen by
the workstation. Oh, well. I may never know why this happened. At least
I got a valuable tip.

Thanks again.

Paul