Add Recently Used File List to Desktop Menu?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 27 16:21:25 CET 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 08:14:35AM -0600, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am wondering if anyone has attempted to add the ~/.recently-used file
> > to their xfdesktop menu?
> >
> > Reviewing the file structure of the above, it is an XML file, however in
> > a markedly different structure than menu.xml of course.
> >
> > Presumably one might be able to parse the file, reformat it into a
> > menu.xml compatible structure and then ?insert it into menu.xml at an
> > appropriate location on the menu tree. Perhaps even using some setting
> > in the parsing script as to how many of the files would be listed (ie.
> > last 5 or last 10).
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >

> Interesting idea. Does it save the program the file was opened with as
> well? If not, that may make things a bit more difficult.

no, it doesn't, so we'd have to hook it into xffm's mimetype system (or
something).  regardless, it seems like a nifty idea, and something that
could be included via the existing <include> mechanism (thereby causing
no perf penalty for people that don't want to use it).

thinking of the mimetype stuff makes me remember...  we were talking
about moving the xfdesktop menu code elsewhere so the panel (or anyone)
could use it, and jasper (i think it was you) suggested putting it in a
gmodule.  would this be a candidate to go into the xfce4-modules
package?  the mimetype stuff is in there, right?  if so, i wouldn't mind
moving the menu code and making xfdesktop depend on xfce4-modules.

	-brian