can't do xfce4 on sparc Solaris 2.7

James Lee leekk at freeshell.org
Fri Feb 27 06:55:22 CET 2004

Hi,

I decided to make the jump from 3.8 to 4.0.3 on Sparc Solaris 2.7.
Downloaded the various packages and built them. Has the following
installed locally (under my home directory): pkg-config 0.50, glib
2.3.1, gtk+-2.2.4, pango-1.3.2. Everything is under my home directory.

When I started up xfce4, I only see a blank screen and a bar on top
(xftaskbar4), mouse cursor changes to arrow, and nothing happens and
nothing responds. I was able to add an xterm to .xinitrc to it and it
appears, with the title "xterm" across the bar at the top. Inside the
xterm, I tried, xterm, netscape, etc, and nothing appears. X didn't
complain. I tried xfce4-panel, but nothing comes up, except the
messages about not using session-manager, which I gather is normal,
since I don't have it. ps showed the different processes running (no
xfce4-panel, though). Whatever X apps I start goes into a blackhole.

Unfortunately, my xfce 3.8 was hosed (my libs were messed up), so I
ran fvwm2 instead. Then I started xfce4-panel manually inside an
xterm, and it came up (although complaining about the window manager
not comforming to standards in freedesktop.org, etc.) I was even able
to play with the panel. I tried xfdesktop and lo and behold, a window
containing the desktop with the xfce mouse backdrop actually pop-up. I
can even iconize this "desktop". But of course, all windows are still
controlled by fvwm2.

Finally, I tried using fvwm2 and then switch to xfwm4 and manually
started up xfce4-panel, xftaskbar4, xfce4-iconbox, etc. The only thing
I didn't run is xfdesktop. xfce4 works nicely (mostly) through this
means.

I suspect the problem to be xfdesktop going missing when run on its
own, that is why all the xterm, netscape, etc, went missing (but no
complaints) as well. I tried to rebuild xfdesktop a couple of times,
but to no avail.

What is the problem with my setup?

Thanks a lot.

p/s: I'm running xfce4 from fvwm2 for a few weeks already, and it
seems pretty stable this way. xfdesktop4 is not running.