keyboard question

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Wed Feb 25 07:00:20 CET 2004

hi all,

I've been looking into expanding my current "quit typing and stretch"
warning, and could use some help. Right now I do it very simply, by
running a cron job. This is effective, but it doesn't take into effect
whether I'm even at the computer, whether I'm typing or just talking
with someone or reading (maybe paper, maybe mouse-only).

What I'd like to do is count keystrokes in addition to the timer, then
flash a warning if there are X keystrokes within Y minutes. Make both
configurable and give it a fortune file as data source and we've got
quite a handy app on hand. I'd really like to have it fit in as an XFce4
panel plugin, if possible.

I've found /dev/console, but is that the safest/best way to get a count?
Cat'ing it causes odd things to happen. My reading of the keyboard and
console howto at TLDP suggests that X is reading it as well when it's
running, so I'd probably be looking for an X reporting interface.

So, has anyone ever heard of such a thing as a keyboard interface for
reporting that there are keystrokes going on, preferably without
recording what those keystrokes are (I'd rather not write a
keystroke-logger at this time :-)?
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
* "In my motorcycle mirror I think about the life I've led and       *