rpm for xfce4-weather-plugin-0.2.0

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Thu Feb 19 05:03:52 CET 2004

Paul M. Bucalo wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:37:29 -0500, Brian J. Tarricone graced me with:
>

>>Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
>>

>>>2) Then, head out to:
>>>

>>>http://www.weather.com/
>>>

>>>and do a local search for weather based on your city and state,
>>>or whatever criteria applies, if you are not in the U.S. This
>>>will return a page that shows your local weather, and more
>>>importantly, a URL at the top of your browser with your 8-digit
>>>location code nested within.
>>>

>>if you're in the U.S., don't use your zip code - that returns a
>>different url without the location code (at least for me).  use
>>your city and state.
>>
>>-brian
>>

>Thanks for clarifying that point, Brian. I thought of that after I
>send out my post. That was what gave me such a hassle in the
>beginning. You *have* to use "city, state* if you are in the U.S. Live
>and learn. :0)
>
>Paul

I had tried the 8 digit code that I got from using the "city, state"
input to weather.com and it worked great. But I was curious about this
when using the zip code. The URL created by using the zip code contains
the 5 digit zip code in the same location as the 8 digit code. So I
tried using my zip code in the "Location code" box in the Weather Update
properties dialog, and it worked. I get a slightly different location
than before which is actually closer to my actual location.

Can you try using your 5 digit zip code in place of the 8 digit code in
the properties for the plug-in and let me know if it works for you too?
If this works, it is a lot easier to use than having to go to
weather.com and copying the cryptic code. At least for those in the US.

Bob S.