rpm for xfce4-weather-plugin-0.2.0

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com
Wed Feb 18 14:29:31 CET 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:01:04 +0200, John Shane graced me with:
> I tried this Fedora-based weather plugin rpm on my RH9 system and
> it installs okay and is available to add to the panel.  However, no
> weather data appears.  Also, there is no response when I change
> from imperial to metric measurement units.  Is this because of
> using a Fedora rpm on a RH9 system?
>
> I did eventually figure out that the location code must be the 4
> letter METAR code which I'd never heard of before but eventually
> stumbled over in my google research. ;-)  I suspect that the
> problem is other than the Fedora - RH difference because I also
> tried using the GKrellWeather plugin and it too does not respond to
> the local METAR code.  Also other Fedora-based plugin rpm's are
> working on my system (except for not showing the correct colors).
> Any pointers how to troubleshoot this?
>
> TIA,  John

John,

Here's what you need to do:

1) Head out to:

http://www.atreidis.nl.eu.org/weatherplugin/

and read the paragraph "Location Code". I had to read this over
several times to get it through my thick head what I was suppose to
do.

2) Then, head out to:

http://www.weather.com/

and do a local search for weather based on your city and state, or
whatever criteria applies, if you are not in the U.S. This will return
a page that shows your local weather, and more importantly, a URL at
the top of your browser with your 8-digit location code nested within.

For instance, for my community, the location code is USNY1044

3) Copy/paste just the code or hand-type it into the settings of the
plugin. Viola! It works!

I really like this plugin. Just so cool to have. (Thanks again, Joe!)

HTH,

Paul