installer release: garxfce4 0.1.0

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 16 15:38:49 CET 2004

hello all-

i've heard that some people have difficulty installing xfce4 due to the
fact that there are multiple packages to download and install, some of
them with dependencies such that they need to be compiled and installed
in a specific order.  even barring difficulties, it's rather annoying to
have to manually install so many packages.

so, amidst my insomnia last night, i whipped up a GAR-based
complier/installer for xfce4.  people familiar with the *BSDs will
recognise it as being somewhat reminiscent of the ports system.  i got
the idea from jeff waugh, who uses GAR to package gnome (GARNOME).

anyway, if you'd like to try it out, you can find it at:
http://kelnos.homelinux.org/xfce4/garxfce4.html
there are some minimal instructions on the website to get you started,
but please read the README file in the tarball for more comprehensive
build instructions.

if you need help, feel free to discuss it on the xfce at xfce.org mailing
list.  please don't bug any of the other developers about this, as this
isn't an official release/installation method; it's just something i
whipped up.  it appears to build and install ok on my machine, but
that's not to say it'll work fine everywhere else.  please take note of
the build requirements (on the website and in the README) and make sure
you have them satisfied before asking for help.

	--brian