Some little questions

Simon Raffeiner wiredcoder at web.de
Thu Feb 12 18:45:59 CET 2004

Hello,

this is the first time I'm mailing to this list so I hope I don't cause
too much trouble ;)

I already read my way through the FAQ and the Mailing List archive but
couldn't find answers to my questions and also didn't know how to
describe them, so I'll ask here. I'm using xfce4 on Gentoo Linux with
Kernel 2.6, all components updated to the lasts version available
(should be 4.0.3.1).

1. The taskbar doesn't always display the buttons in an ordered way if
"Show tasks from all workspaces" is activated. With "ordered" I mean
that the taskbar should first display all applications on Desktop 1,
then Desktop 2, Desktop 3 etc. I do not demand the buttons to be still
ordered when I move applications across the desktops (that would be
funny), but is there any option I could set so that at least new
applications get their button in the right place? As far as I can see,
new buttons are just inserted at random.

2. My Panel is set to be displayed on the bottom and centered. Is there
a way to make it center itself if the width of the panel is extended or
reduced by an icon in the Systemtray?

3. I want applications to be displayed on the Desktop I've started them,
e.g. if I am on desktop 4 and klick on my MozillaFirefox-Icon in the
Panel then I want Mozilla Firefox to be displayed on Desktop 4 and not
on the actual desktop (if I changed it in the meantime). It would be
enough if this is true for applications started via the Panel. This also
leads me to my last question:

4. Is it possible to start an application from the command line so it is
displayed on a given Desktop number? e.g. I use liferea and want it to
be always displayed on desktop 8 as soon as xfce4 is started.

I am able to RTFM, so any hint is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Greets
Simon