Crashes on FreeBSD 5.3 using RC2

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 04:44:03 CET 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:58:13 +0100, Jakob Breivik Grimstveit
<jakob at grimstveit.no> wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 03:21:49 +0100, Jakob Breivik Grimstveit
> > <jakob at grimstveit.no> wrote:
> >
> >> I have for a while now used the ports-patch to get RC1 of Xfce 4.2
> >> running, but it has been very buggy. I just now downloaded the
> >> installer from www.os-cillation.de and changed my .xinitrc to point to
> >> $HOME/local/bin/startxfce4 and everything seems to start up nicely.
> >>
> >> However, just as in RC1 using the ports patch, using either the panel
> >> or right-clicking the desktop makes the application in question crash.
> >>
> >> Path to runlog:
> >> <http://www.grimstveit.no/jakob/files/temp/startxfce4log>
> >
> > Disclaimer: I'm just a user . . .
>
> Aren't we all? :-)
>
> > By, application in question, what do you mean? Looks like all the
> > running apps loose their X connection - does X crash or hang?
>
> It is terminated by myself with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace since the panel crashed
> and leaves me with no other ways to exit. Thus the usable output is up to
> line containing:
>
> "** (xfce4-panel:8750): CRITICAL **: Could not save xml file
> I/O error : Bad file descriptor"
>
> > Are any other apps usable?
>
> Yes. Using Pan, Evolution, Firefox, and many others.
>
> > What can you do before right clicking that
> > works? Is it only right clicking on the desktop that causes the crash?
>
> Correct. I can for example right click, select Terminal - and the terminal
> pops up. But any subsequent rightclicks on desktop does not work since
> it's dead.

Alright then. Open a terminal and try

gdb xfdesktop

Then, in gdb type

run

and then try to make xfdesktop crash by pulling up the menu again.
Once it does, switch to the xterm and type

bt

and send the output. Maybe that can show where the trouble lies

> Same goes for panel. Clicking one application button/icon makes it launch
> the application, but then the panel dies/vanishes.
>
> > On another note, you really should listen to this line in the log
> >
> > _IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
> >
> > Recent versions of X.org will not start if this isn't fixed (if  I
> > recall correctly) for security reasons
>
> Thanks, will look into that as well.
>
> Any other clues what might causing this crash? Will try out RC3 tomorrow,
> but suspect same problem to appear.
>
> --
> Jakob Breivik Grimstveit, http://www.grimstveit.no/jakob, +47 48298152

-Erik